The curvature of the stomach called fundus secretes a hormone called ghrelin, also known as hunger hormone. Ghrelin is known to induce obesity and diabetes.
The ghrelin secreting part of the stomach is removed in sleeve gastrectomy, thereby increasing the satiety and reducing the excess hunger and craving for food. At the same time, all the functioning elements of stomach are preserved. Hence it is known to have minimum nutritional effects. It can also be used as a first stage procedure in super obese patients.
Laparoscopic sleeve gastrectomy can be performed by using 3 or 4 punctures (conventional technique) or a single invisible puncture thro the naval (no scar or transumbilial surgery) .
We in LOC initiated Sleeve gastrectomty in 2004 and get the credit of popularizing it in India.
Our clinical research on Sleeve gastrectomty
Effect of sleeve gatsrectomy on Obesity, Diabetes, Blood pressure, etc. Research papers published in the March 2010 issue of the index journal Surgery for Obesity and Related Diseases (SOARD).
- Effectiveness of laparoscopic sleeve gastrectomy on glycemic control in obese Indians with type 2 diabetes mellitus
- Long-term effects of laparoscopic sleeve gastrectomy in morbidly obese subjects with type 2 diabetes mellitus
How does Sleeve gastrectomty works as a metabolic operation Research papers published IN SOARD 2010
- Prospective controlled study of effect of laparoscopic sleeve gastrectomy on small bowel transit time and gastric emptying half-time in morbidly obese patients with type 2 diabetes mellitus)
Sleeve gastrectomy and Laparo-Obeso Centre
- First laparoscopic sleeve gastrectomy in India as a stand -alone procedure was performed by Dr Shashank Shah.
- LOC gets the credit of training hundreds of surgeons and making Sleeve gastrectomy popular in India.
- First one in India to modify the technique of sleeve gastrectomy to improve results by adding antrectomy and using a smaller bougie from the beginning.
- Pioneer research in studying various mechanisms of action of sleeve gastrectomy.
- First published paper on action of sleeve gastrectomy in Indian patients with Type 2 Diabetes.
- First (NOSCAR) transvaginal sleeve gastrectomy in Asia, during Metasurg 2008.
- First (SILS) single incision, trans-umbilical sleeve gastrectomy demonstrated live in India during the yearly international Congress, Metasurg 2009.
- Highest no. of sleeve gastrectomies in India till date (>1000)
- One of the top 20 in the world with high volume of sleeve gastrectomies with long term data published.
- Only Indian faculty to contribute to the International Consensus summits on sleeve gastrectomy (ICSSG 1,2 and 3) held in New York by Dr. Michel Gagner who gets the credit for performing the first sleeve gastrectomy in the world.
- Dr Shah has demonstrated his skills and techniques of sleeve gastrectomy in various national and international congresses.
- We have successfully treated many complications of Sleeve Gastrectomy referred from other centres including leaks, strictures, weight regain, etc.
- Dr Shashank Shah has proctored many surgeons to set up many centers in various Asian countries like Malaysia, Bangladesh, Sri Lanka , Philippines, Pakistan, China, etc.
- Prospective controlled study of effect of laparoscopic sleeve gastrectomy on small bowel transit time and gastric emptying half-time in morbidly obese patients with type 2 diabetes mellitus-(Principle-author)
- Effectiveness of laparoscopic sleeve gastrectomy on glycemic control in obese Indians with type 2 diabetes mellitus.
- Long-term effects of laparoscopic sleeve gastrectomy in morbidly obese subjects with type 2 diabetes mellitus.
Firstly you get a lot of mental stability after this surgery and you start feeling energetic. This is my personal experience. Its been 5 months since I am operated, I feel a lot better than before. I don't need to take insulin and medications. Its difficult to find a doctor like Dr Shashank Shah.
Omar Ahmed Islam
I had problems with my large intestine, diabetes and high blood pressure. The solution for me was to cut my weight which was 120 kg. So through the internet and emails, I contacted Dr Shashank Shah at Laparo Obeso Center, Pune. We came here and realized they have a very good team of doctors and nurses who give excellent care during and after operation. After operation, I have reduced down to 70 kg in 6 months and my diabetes has disappeared and my blood pressure is normal. I thank Dr Shashank Shah for everything he has done for me.